Mental Health First Aid for First Responders
Want to set up a Mental Health First Aid Class or learn more?
8 Hours of CLEEs from the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy or CEUs from SCDHEC Bureau of EMS offered!
First responders take their lives 20% more often than the general public.
of police officers think of suicide at some point in their lives.
of firefighters in North America struggle with substance use.
Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. You learn risk factors and warning signs for mental health and addiction concerns. The training covers strategies to help someone in both crisis and non-crisis situations. You also learn where to turn for help in a crisis situation. When you take a course, you learn how to apply the Mental Health First Aid action plan in a variety of situations. This includes when someone is experiencing panic attacks, suicidal thoughts or behaviors, nonsuicidal self-injury, psychosis (hallucinations or delusions), overdose or withdrawal from alcohol or drug use and reaction to traumatic events. Practicing through role plays, scenarios and activities makes it easier to apply these skills in a real-life situation. SC Thrive offers first responder-focused modules free to first responder personnel. Mental Health First Aid for Fire & EMS The Fire & EMS module focuses on the unique experiences and needs of firefighters and EMS personnel. It covers:
- a discussion of first responder culture and stigma
- Fire and EMS personnel's relevance to the topic of mental health
- outreach tactics to respond to individuals experiencing a mental health crisis
- a discussion of the specific risk factors faced by first responders and their families
- defusing crises
- promoting mental health literacy
- combating stigma of mental illness
- enabling early intervention through recognition of signs and symptoms
- connecting people to care