Do you or your family need healthcare coverage?

SC Thrive provides access to healthcare coverage for our clients through Thrive Hub. The healthcare programs that we can provide access to are Healthy Connections Medicaid, Healthy Connections Prime, Long Term Care, Medically Indigent Assistance Program, Medicare Savings Programs, Medicare prescription help, and Welvista Medication Assistance Program. You can apply for healthcare coverage with one of our counselors at an SC Thrive site or over the phone with our Contact Center at 800.726.8774.

Senior Couple Using Tablet Computer At Outdoor Café
Healthy Connections Medicaid

What is Healthy Connections Medicaid?
Medicaid is a joint state and federal program that provides health insurance coverage to many low-income individuals and families. Adults, children, and families must meet certain non-financial, financial, and categorical criteria to qualify. If approved, covered services include physical exams, prescription drugs, medical services, laboratory services, transportation services, and much more.

Who can receive Healthy Connections Medicaid?
To be eligible for full Medicaid benefits, an individual must be a South Carolina resident and either a U.S. citizen or a lawfully present non-citizen and meet all the eligibility criteria. People of all ages can potentially receive Medicaid benefits including families, people living alone, people living with roommates, people in nursing facilities and hospitals, and even people who are homeless.
Lawfully present non-citizens may only be eligible for emergency services such as labor and delivery services if the income requirements are met.

How do I apply for Medicaid?

Healthy Connections Prime

What is Healthy Connections Prime?
Healthy Connections Prime is an enhanced healthcare option for seniors providing enhanced Medicare and Medicaid Services. Healthy Connections Prime offers better care by making it easier for you to get all of your Medicare, Medicaid, and Part D services from a health plan that you choose, better value through a care team and a care manager that works directly with you and your doctors and better health through benefits that help you stay at home with your family for as long as possible.

Benefits for enrollees include:

  • No insurance premiums or deductibles
  • No cost for prescription drugs, doctor visits, or hospital stays
  • One health plan card to manage all your Medicare (Parts A, B, & D) and Healthy Connections Medicaid medical and prescription drug benefits
  • A care plan designed specifically to meet your health needs

Who can receive Healthy Connections Prime?

  • Applicants must be 65 years of age or older.
  • Applicants must be receiving BOTH Medicare and South Carolina Healthy Connections Medicaid.
  • Applicants must reside in a county that participates in the program. Click here to view a map of the participating counties.

How do I apply for Healthy Connections Prime?

Long Term Care

South Carolina Healthy Connections Medicaid Long Term Care provides services and supports necessary to meet health and personal care needs for qualifying seniors over an extended period of time. These services can cover:

  • Nursing Home Care including a wide range of health and personal services like 24-hour supervision and nursing assistance.
  • Community Long Term Care that allows seniors to stay in their homes while receiving needed medical care and help with daily activities.

How do I apply for Long-Term Care benefits?

  • To be eligible for Long-Term Care benefits through Healthy Connections Medicaid, individuals must meet categorical, financial, non-financial, and additional requirements. You can learn more HERE
  • Visit to learn more.
  • Call our Contact Center at 800.726.8774 to start your application now.
Medically Indigent Assistance Program

MIAP is designed to assist individuals to pay part or all of a hospital bill from an inpatient procedure.

Who can qualify for MIAP?

  • Applicants must be 19 years of age or older.
  • Individuals must be U.S. citizens or lawful permanent resident non-citizens residing in South Carolina.
  • Individuals with limited or no healthcare coverage may be eligible for MIAP.
  • Applicants must have had an eligible inpatient procedure in the past year (or scheduled in the near future).
  • Individuals must meet additional eligibility requirements to qualify for MIAP.
Medicare Savings Program

What is the Medicare Savings Program?
The Medicare Savings Program is designed to help cover the cost of Medicare premiums. Some programs pay for the Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) deductible, coinsurance and copayments if you meet certain conditions.

Who can receive the Medicare Savings Program?
Anyone who is receiving Medicare Part A and/or Medicare Part B who meets income and resource eligibility requirements may qualify for one of the Medicare Savings Programs.

Other Healthcare Coverage

What is the Affordable Care Act (ACA)?
The Patient Protection Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires all U.S. citizens to have healthcare coverage or insurance that meets the definition of Minimum Essential Coverage. Depending on income, individuals and families may qualify for lower premiums or tax credits. For more information, visit

How do I apply for Marketplace Insurance with the ACA?
To be eligible for healthcare coverage through the Marketplace, an applicant must live in the United States, must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or lawfully present non-citizen and cannot be currently incarcerated. There is an annual Open Enrollment Period usually taking place in November and December. There are special circumstances that allow for applications and enrollments outside for Open Enrollment. To apply or to get more information, call 800.318.2596 or visit

Medicare Rx Extra Help

What is Medicare Rx Extra Help?
Medicare Rx Extra Help or Low Income Subsidy (LIS) pays for Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage. Individuals who qualify for QMB, SLMB or QI are automatically enrolled.

Who can receive Medicare Rx Extra Help?
Anyone who is receiving Medicare Part A and B and who meets certain eligibility requirements may qualify for Medicare Rx Extra Help.

Welvista Medication Assistance Program

What is Welvista Medication Assistance Program?
Welvista is an SC Thrive nonprofit partner that provides prescription drugs to qualifying individuals without healthcare coverage through their Medication Assistance Program (MAP). Welvista MAP recipients can get their prescriptions filled for no cost.

Who can receive the Welvista MAP?

  • Individuals without any form of healthcare coverage (except Family Planning) may qualify for Welvista.
  • Applicants must live in South Carolina and provide proof of residency.
  • Applicants must verify all income for each person in the household.
  • Applicants must be 64 years of age or younger.

How do I apply for Welvista MAP?

Apply by calling 800.726.8774.

*Notice of Non-Discrimination

The South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (SCDHHS) complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. SCDHHS does not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.

SCDHHS provides free aids and services to people with disabilities, such as qualified sign language interpreters and written information in other formats (large print, braille, audio, accessible electronic formats, other formats). We provide free language services to people whose primary language is not English, such as qualified interpreters and information written in other languages. If you need these services, contact Janet Bell, ADA and Civil Rights Official, by mail at: PO Box 8206, Columbia, SC 29202-8206; by phone at: 1-888-808-4238 (TTY: 1-888-842-3620); or by email at: civilrights@scdhhs. gov.

If you believe that SCDHHS has failed to provide these services or discriminated in another way on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex, you can file a grievance with the Civil Rights Official using the contact information provided above. You can file a grievance in person or by mail or email. If you need help filing a grievance, we are available to help you.

You can also file a civil rights complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights, electronically through the Office for Civil Rights Complaint Portal, available at https:// or by mail or phone at: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 200 Independence Avenue, SW, Room 509F, HHH Building, Washington, D.C. 20201 or by phone at: 800-368-1019


If your primary language is not English, language assistance services are available to you, free of charge. Call: 1-888-549-0820 (TTY: 1-888-842-3620).

si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-888-549- 0820 (TTY: 1-888-842-3620).

(888-842-3620 :أذا كانت لغتك الاساسية غير اللغة الانكليزية فان خدمات المساعدات اللغوية متوفرة لك مجانا.اتصل على الرقم: 0280-549-888 (رقم هاتف الصم والبكم 3620-842-888-1)

Se fala português, encontram-se disponíveis serviços linguísticos, grátis. Ligue para 1-888-549-0820 (TTY: 1-888-842-3620).

Если вы говорите на русском языке, то вам доступны бесплатные услуги перевода. Звоните 1-888- 549-0820 (телетайп: 1-888-842-3620).

Nếu bạn nói Tiếng Việt, có các dịch vụ hỗ trợ ngôn ngữ miễn phí dành cho bạn. Gọi số 1-888-549-0820 (TTY:1-888-842-3620).

Se você fala português do Brasil, os serviços de assistência em sua lingua estão disponíveis para você de forma gratuita. Chame 1-888-549-0820 (TTY : 1-888-842-3620)

如果您使用繁體中文,您可以免費獲得語言援助服務。請致電 1-888-549-0820 (TTY: 1-888-842-3620)

Falam tawng thiam tu na si le tawng let nak asi mi 1-888-549-0820 (TTY: 1-888-842-3620) ah tang ka pek tul lo in na ko thei.

धयद आप हदी बोलते तो आपके िलए मुफ्त भाषा सहायता सेवाएं उपलब्ध ह। 1-888-549-0820 (TTY: 1-888-842-3620) पर कॉल कर।

한국어를 사용하시는 경우, 언어 지원 서비스를 무료로 이용하실 있습니다. 1-888-549-0820 (TTY: 1-888-842-3620)번으로 전화해 주십시오.

Haka tawng thiam tu na si le tawng let asi mi 1-888-549-0820 (TTY: 1-888-842-3620) ah tang ka pek tul lo in ko thei.

Si vous parlez français, des services d'aide linguistique vous sont proposés gratuitement. Appelez le 888- 549-0820 (ATS : 888-842-3620). 888-549-0820 (TTY: 1-888-842-3620)

ስታወሻ: የሚናገሩት ቋንቋ ኣማርኛ ከሆነ የትርጉም እርዳታ ድርጅቶች፣ በነጻ ሊያግዝዎት ተዘጋጀተዋል፡ ወደ ሚከተለው ቁጥር ይደውሉ 1-888-549-0820 (መስማት ለተሳናቸው: 1-888-842-3620).

သတိျပဳရန္ - အကယ္၍ သင္သည္ျမန္မာစကား ကိုေျပာပါက၊ ဘာသာစကား အကူအညီ၊ အခမဲ့၊ သင့္အတြက္ စီစဥ္ေဆာင္ရြက္ေပးပါမည္။ ဖုန္းနံပါတ္ 1-888-549-0820 (TTY: 1-888-842-3620) သုိ႔ေခၚဆုိပါ။