Tax Filing FAQs

Filing taxes with SC Thrive is a great option for qualifying South Carolinians. Through our tax filing service, taxpayers avoid costly preparation fees and receive their full refund. To help you navigate tax season, we are answering some of the most common tax questions.

When does tax season begin? 

Tax season starts on February 12, 2021. The IRS is not accepting tax returns until this date.

When can I file my own taxes through Thrive Hub? 

You can file your taxes through Thrive Hub anytime from the comfort of your own home or wherever you have internet access. It is important that you start your tax filing through the Thrive Hub portal in order to access the Tax Slayer software for free.

How do I access Thrive Hub? 

You can access Thrive Hub HERE. You will be asked to enter your login credentials. If you are a new user, you will need to create an account. 

Can I call SC Thrive’s Contact Center if I have questions about Thrive Hub?

Yes, you can call our Contact Center for basic Thrive Hub troubleshooting. We are not able to file or provide tax filing advice over the phone.

What do I need to file my taxes?

You will need personal information, income documents, health coverage documents, and expense records. You can find a checklist HERE.

How can I find out where to file in person?

In-person tax filing will be limited this year due to pandemic health and safety guidelines. Our Contact Center will have a list of available clinics based on the region you live in. You may call our Contact Center at 800.726.8774 between 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday for more information.

Can I set up an appointment to get my taxes filed?

Tax sites are taking clients by appointment only to stay within safety guidelines. You will need to set up an appointment and come to your appointment alone unless you are a couple filing jointly. You will also find contact information to set up your appointment.

Where can I get a copy of last year’s tax documents?

If you filed through SC Thrive last year using Tax Slayer, the information should still be available in your Tax Slayer account. SC Thrive does not hold last year’s tax documents for clients. Start your tax screening to access that information. You can request a copy of your tax transcript from the IRS which summarizes return information. You can also request a copy of last year’s tax return from the IRS for $50. For more information on finding last year’s tax documents visit the IRS resource HERE.

What if I received unemployment benefits?

Unemployment pay is considered taxable and must be reported on your income tax return according to the IRS. You should receive Form 1099-G, Government Payments, from your state tax agency either by mail or electronically. Form 1099-G will report the amount of unemployment compensation received and any federal income tax withheld. For more information on 1099-G access visit SC DEW HERE.

I received rental assistance paid directly to my landlord from the COVID-19 Rental Assistance Program. Does that affect my taxes?

No, rental assistance from this program does not impact your current tax return. Your landlord will receive the proper paperwork for their own return.

What if I did not receive a stimulus payment or only received part of mine?

If you are a taxpayer who did not receive a stimulus check or got a smaller one than you should have, you may qualify for the Recovery Rebate Credit. You will have to claim the stimulus amount as a credit on your 2020 tax returns.

For more resources on the Economic Impact Payment and eligibility, visit the Economic Impact Payment Information Center HERE.

What if I worked for Uber, DoorDash, etc. last year?

Individuals who worked for companies such as Uber, Lyft, DoorDash, InstaCart, or other similar organizations would be considered independent contractors. You will receive a form 1099-MISC, (miscellaneous). This form reports the total earnings from a company for independent contractors. You may receive more than one 1099-MISC depending on how many businesses you worked for during the year.

You will need to report 1099-MISC income on a Schedule C attachment to your tax return. Additionally, you have the option to claim deductions that relate to our job duties. For example, gas, car maintenance, and refreshments for clients. All deductions require filers to present receipts when completing their taxes.

What if I withdrew from a retirement account?

If you had to pull money from retirement accounts, you do have to pay income taxes on your withdrawal. You can also spread the tax payments out each year until your 2022 tax return because you have three full years to pay it back with no penalties. Lastly, you have the option to pay taxes on the full withdrawal by the time you do your 2020 tax return.

How much is my standard deduction?

Your standard deduction is based on your filing status, age, and whether or not you can be claimed as a dependent. You can learn more about your potential standard deduction using the IRS’s Interactive Tax Assistant HERE.

What is the EITC?

The EITC, or Earned Income Tax Credit is a credit for families living with low to moderate income. You may qualify if you meet the income and dependent requirements. Recipients can potentially get this credit refunded on their tax return if they qualify.

You can learn more about the EITC and see if you potentially qualify HERE.

How can I receive my refund?

The fastest and safest way to receive your refund this through direct deposit. However, you can also get it back as a paper check, prepaid card or a savings bond.